FAQ 2017-02-14T09:29:27+00:00


Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any requirements for thermographic surveys? 2017-01-27T14:53:42+00:00

It is recommended that certain conditions are met to ensure any outcomes within our reports are fully accurate and actionable. To ‘see’ heat loss (or gain) at least a 10°C temperature difference between the inside and outside must be achieved for a minimum of 24 hours prior to the survey if occupied, or 72 hours for a ‘dead’ building. If the building has no operational heating system, temporary direct heaters (such as space heaters) may be required. It’s because of this that surveys can often take place very early in the morning or late in the evening.

For a full list of thermographic survey requirements, please click here.

What can I expect from a thermographic survey? 2017-01-27T14:37:52+00:00

Upon completetion of a thermographic survey, clients will recieve a precise and detailed report featuring comments and advice from experienced and highly qualified thermographers. We only allow level 2 or above thermographers to produce our reports, ensuring your report is as comprehensive as possible. We’re then available to help, explain and troubleshoot your new thermal data with you as much as you need.

Are you certified/accredited? 2017-01-27T14:29:08+00:00

Absolutely! All of our thermographers are level 1/2/3 certified. We are also a CHAS accredited contractor, registered Constructionline supplier, UKTA approved to conduct BREEAM thermographic surveys, BINDT approved training centre and ISO 9001:2008 registered. To see a full list of our accreditations, please click here.

Do you offer discounts on multiple delegates? 2017-01-24T11:09:51+00:00

Put simply, the more the merrier! The amount of discount we offer entirely depends on how many students you’re looking to put on one (or several) of our courses. If this is something you’re interested in, just get in touch and we’ll be able to give you a better idea of what savings you’d be looking at.

What should I bring? 2017-01-24T11:09:06+00:00

Just yourself – we supply everything from training manuals and pens to lunch and refreshments. Some delegates choose to bring their own thermal imaging cameras to apply knowledge from our lessons in real-time, however this is by no means a requirement! As independent specialists we have a wide range of cameras for you to try and test. This gives you the chance to experience a variety of different brands, allowing you to make an informed purchasing decision when the time is right.

What’s the difference between iRed, ABBE, PCN, ASNT and ITC qualifications? 2017-01-24T11:08:14+00:00

The main differences between the various different thermography qualifications available today is the associated assessment requirements, industry-recognition and their ability to fulfill scheme requirements such as providing a Home Quality Mark (ABBE Certificate) or a BREEAM credit (PCN Category 1 for data collection and PCN Category 2 for report analysis).

Thermography as an industry is rapidly growing, and new schemes and legislation are emerging as a response to increasing demand. It’s always a good idea to establish what you’re looking to do professionally and work out your required training from there. The team here at iRed are always happy to help, so if you need help finding the right course for you just give us a ring and one of our trained thermographers will be happy to guide you through our courses.

Are you accredited? 2017-01-24T11:02:30+00:00

Absolutely! We are a BINDT approved training organisation (ATO) and an ABBE approved assessment centre. Our trainers are all UKTA approved thermographers, and all of our courses are CPD certified. Successful completion of any of our foundation courses will meet the requirements for the UKTA database of approved thermographers. In addition to this, we operate a Quality Management System in accordance with BS EN ISO 9001:2008, demonstrating our commitment to quality.

Why do I need training? 2017-01-24T11:01:28+00:00

Thermal imaging cameras are not point-and-shoot. So many factors affect the output – including the nature of the subject, the ambient surroundings, the range of temperatures detected and even the choice of colour palette – that they are only useful in the hands of a trained thermographer.

What is thermography? 2017-01-24T11:00:36+00:00

Thermography (otherwise known as “Thermal Imaging”) is a specialist technique which uses infrared-sensitive cameras to inspect buildings, electrical equipment, rotating machinery and devices to detect faults or problematic areas, as part of routine maintenance or fault-finding. This non-invasive method allows the identification – both in terms of location and severity – of problems associated with heat loss.

Why do I need a PfCO? 2017-01-19T17:04:00+00:00

If you want to undertake any commercial RPS/UAS work within the UK, or fly in any congested area, you will need to get Permissions for Commercial Operations (PfCO) from the CAA.


Do my permissions expire? 2017-01-19T17:03:21+00:00

Permissions for Commercial Operations (PfCO) are valid for 12 months after a successful application, and are subject to annual renewal at least 30 days before their expirey date. This is simply a case of resubmitting your operations manual to the CAA, highlighting any changes and showing any appropriate insurances.

Do I need to provide my own aircraft? 2017-01-19T17:02:43+00:00
For the remote pilot qualification, yes. Due to insurance purposes we cannot supply UAS (multi-rotor drone / fixed-wing aircraft) for the flight assessment.

For the aerial payload specialist courses, no. As the course focuses on payload training, delegates will be operating a camera during their flight assessment rather than an aircraft.

Why train with the iRed Academy? 2017-01-19T17:02:05+00:00

As the UK’s leading thermal imaging experts, we have years of professional experience with the commercial applications of RPS. This experience enables us to provide specialist training for a variety of different payloads and technologies, enabling delegates to utilise a UAS as a tool for more than just digital imagery.

Are there different PfCO qualifications? 2017-01-19T17:01:30+00:00

No. There is only one CAA approved course. There are however a number of recognised training providers who can deliver it, each of whom may name their courses differently.

Can I do the courses with a fixed-wing aircraft? 2017-01-19T17:00:58+00:00

Yes you can! Our RPS training covers a wide range of UAS technologies, meaning that the knowledge and skills learnt on our courses are transferable between all types of remote aircraft. The only difference is that you’ll be doing your flight assessment with a different system.

I’ve done my flight assessment/ground school with another training provider, can I finish my qualification with iRed? 2017-01-19T16:59:07+00:00

Certainly! If you can provide evidence of either your previous ground school or flight assessment examination, you can attend whichever unit you havent yet completed. Upon successful completion, we will issue you with your full RPQ and even submit your application to the CAA on your behalf.

How does it work? 2017-01-18T13:32:15+00:00

Rather than using a CMOS or CCD detector which records different levels of a range of visible light colours, a thermal imaging camera uses a microbolometer array to accurately measure levels of infrared radiation across a scene. This temperature data is then processed to produce a thermal image (known as “thermogram”), which can then be very precisely quantified or measured.

What is thermography? 2017-01-18T13:32:20+00:00

Thermography (otherwise known as “Thermal Imaging”) is a specialist technique which uses infrared-sensitive cameras to inspect buildings, electrical equipment, rotating machinery and devices to detect faults or problematic areas, as part of routine maintenance or fault-finding. This non-invasive method allows the identification – both in terms of location and severity – of problems associated with heat loss.